Burning a Bootable CD
The rEFIt disk image download can be burned to a CD, creating a bootable rEFIt CD for recovery and installation. Here's how.
On Mac OS X
To burn a bootable rEFIt CD on Mac OS X, follow these instructions:
- Download the rEFIt-0.14.dmg disk image.
- In the Finder, right-click rEFIt-0.14.dmg and choose “Open With...” -> “Disk Utility” in the context menu.
- Select “rEFIt-0.14.dmg” in the list on the left side of the window by clicking on it.
- Click the “Burn” button in the window's toolbar.
- Insert a blank CD and click “Burn”.
(Of course, that’s just one of the many possible ways to do it.)
On Windows, Linux or other systems
The Apple .dmg format is not supported on other systems. The alternative .cdr.gz download can be used to burn a CD on these platforms.
- Download the rEFIt-0.14.cdr.gz disk image.
- Using your favourite unpacker or the gzip command, uncompress the downloaded file. You should now have a file named “rEFIt-0.14.cdr”.
- Ask your favourite burning software to burn “rEFIt-0.14.cdr” as a “ISO image” or “disk image”.